Saturday, August 17, 2013

THE WALKIN' AMISH

 

News Clip: Amish men take about 18,425 steps per day. Amish women take about 14,196. The average American adult takes about 4,000 steps per day.  Four percent of Amish are obese, compared to 31% of the general population. A more detailed description of the study can be found here. Since s many Amish ride bikes, it would have been nice if that would have been a part of the study as well. On only anecdotal personal observation, I would have to quibble with the 4% obesity rate in the Amish - seems higher to me - but that's a limited sample from Shipshewana, Indiana!  Also, their statement of 31% of the general population does not tell the whole story, for example:
  • Rates vary by region, with the 20 states having the highest percentages of obesity and overweight all located in the South or Midwest
  • Rates vary by age, with obesity rates for Baby Boomers (45- to 64-year olds), having reached 30% in 41 states, but exceeding 30% in one state -- Louisiana -- for seniors (65 years old or older)
  • Obesity rates in 2010 were nearly the same for men (35.8%) and women (35.5%) despite a nearly 6-percentage-point difference a decade ago (men: 27.5%, women: 33.4%)
  • Almost a third of adults with incomes less than $25,000 a year were obese compared with a quarter of those who earn more than $50,000 a year
  • More than 35% of those ages 26 and older who didn't graduate from high school were obese, compared with 21.3% of those who graduated from college or technical school
A detailed report on obesity can  be found here - the really sad fact is that while Colorado has the lowest rate at 20.5%, just 30 years ago, that percentage would have been the HIGHEST in the country!   All of this reminds me of a short-lived marketing campaign for  'designer' jeans for lard-asses!!



The following will also no doubt end up with the big corporation squashing a bit of humor: 

 

10 comments:

Phil L. said...

I wonder where the Amish ladies get them black shoes? Would like to get a pair for my wife.

hoosierdaddy said...

Just head to Yoders in Shipshewana - and you can get yourself a nice hat while you are there.

Phil L. said...

Already got me an Amish hat from Yoder's. Will check out the shoe department next time. Thanks for the tip!

DES said...

I know that they have a great selection in the mens department from Sunday lace-ups to clodhoppers - haven't spent any time in the womens section :-)

Phil L. said...

I understand the women's thongs only come in black, gray, and dark blue.

Hugh G. said...

Doudlas E, I remember clodhoppers as a kid. Several of my grade school classmates wore them but I was forbidden from owning a pair because, as my mom said, "They scuff the floor." Well, my mom and the floor are gone. All that's left is the memory of my never knowing the pleasure of wearing clodhoppers.

hoosierdaddy said...

Phil - I would guess black only!

Hugh G. said...

Not that I am missing anything. I have the option of wearing adult clodhoppers, but all I wear now is New Balance walking shoes. Do not want to scuff my floors. Lol!

Douglas E said...

HG - seems like these days you can hop clods in most any type of shoe; and clod hoppers reminded me of Clem Dadidddlehopper, a name that the young uns here will not recognize!

Douglas E said...

Used a D instead of a K in Kadiddlehopper at the beginning and too many d's in the middle - time for bed.