Friday, October 19, 2012

HEIDELBERG SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA

On Wednesday evening, we enjoyed a concert by The Heidelberg Philharmonic Orchestra at the Stadthalle.  The evening's program was:

Jean Sibelius - Finlandia − Symphonische Dichtung op.26
Edvard Grieg - Konzert für Klavier und Orchester a-Moll op.16
Carl Nielsen - Symphonie Nr.2 op.16 »Die vier Temperamente«

Klavier-  Lauma Skride
Musikalische Leitung -  Jorma Panula

I am familiar with the first two pieces but did not know the Nielson - it was quite nice.  The orchestra is very good, playing with both technical expertise and emotion.  The guest pianist for the Grieg piece was also competent and emotive.  The acoustics of the hall are very good and it was amazing how quiet the German folks are for such performances - they even held their coughs for the time between pieces!  The Grieg and Neilson are linked above, but because Finlandia is definitely a favorite, here are two videos - one orchestral and one vocal that uses the familiar melody from the latter part of the orchestral version.  Enjoy!





This is my song, oh God of all the nations,
a song of peace for lands afar and mine.
This is my home, the country where my heart is;
here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine;
but other hearts in other lands are beating
with hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.

My country's skies are bluer than the ocean,
and sunlight beams on clover leaf and pine.
But other lands have sunlight too and clover,
and skies are everywhere as blue as mine.
This is my song, thou God of all the nations;
a song of peace for their land and for mine.









No comments: