Thursday, August 16, 2012

SWARTZENDRUBER



I just came across the envelope on which I have cut-and-pasted the various permutations of Swartzendruber spellings - so this is an update of a previous post but now with complete and accurate info.

There are different accounts of the origin of the Swartzendruber name.  One source says that the name is Swiss and may have been derived from seller of black grapes.  Another version is related to the Drubba family name in the Black Forest, where one of the Drubba families lived near a stream that occasionally turned black due to coal content - hence - the schwartz Drubba family.  Makes for an interesting story at least.  However, the main focus of this post will be some of the misspellings of Swartzendruber that I have received over the years, beginning with the one that got me started:

Schwaljeindruber
Swarzcworuber
Swartzender
Swartzenbruder
Swartzenbruber
Swartzendrubeer
Swartizendruber
Schwarzenberger
Schisartzendruber
Swartzedurber
Schwartzebury
Zwartzendruber
Schwartzedruber
Swartzendruken
Swartzendraber
Schwarzendruber
Swaitzendrubber
Swartzen
Swartzendrvber
Swartzeber
Swartzend
Swartzyendruber
Swartzerub
Swatzendruber
Swartzendrubber
Schwertzenguier
Schwartzentroper
Schwarzendrubber
Szartzendruber
Swartsendruder
Swartzendruher
Swarkendouker
Swarjzendruber
Swaqrtzendruber
Swartzenbeuber
Swartzendrumbe
Swartzendrumber
Swartzendrumer
Startzendruber
Swartzendrduber
Schwastyeuduber
Swart-Zendruber
Fwarteendruber
Endruber, D.E. Swartz
Ber Swartzenoru
Lendruber
Hwartzendruber
And my first name is not immune:

Dug
Dough
Dougras [from Japan]
L

My all-time favorite - a note from a young girl to her father:

Dad - call Dug Swotwitwope

And my favorite story while working in Los Alamos:

Los Alamos National Laboratory is a big place, and thus the lab operates its own taxi service to cart staff members from site to site.  When you need a ride, you call the central dispatch and soon thereafter a driver arrives.  After making a call and then hopping into the van, the driver did not budge.  I said "We can head out now" and he calmly replied "Are you Swartz or are you Druber?"  I chuckled, said that I was both, and we hit the road.

6 comments:

John Riegsecker said...

I can empathize.

Dr S said...

John - understood :-) I have an envelope somewhere on which I have scotch-taped my 'collection' - danged if I can find it, because I know that there are a few more doozies.

Bizzy Brain said...

I always thought it was a neat, fun name.

Sick Sigma Sez said...

Swartzendribbler for those who get up at 4:30 a.m. for ther first pee. OR could refer to a former and currnet basketball player. OR both.

Dr S said...

SSS - I prefer the b ball reference, but with age, I suppose the 4:30 pee is more apt.

I should add that some of my college friends seemed to like "Swartzendrooler."

S3 said...

I didn't see Swartzendiddler in the list. (Make up your own punchline.)