Sunday, July 24, 2011

SUNDAY SONG



My life goes on in endless song
Above earth's lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear it's music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?

While though the tempest loudly roars,
I hear the truth, it liveth.
And though the darkness 'round me close,
Songs in the night it giveth.

No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that rock I'm clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?

When tyrants tremble in their fear
And hear their death knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near
How can I keep from singing?

In prison cell and dungeon vile
Our thoughts to them are winging,
When friends by shame are undefiled
How can I keep from singing?

4 comments:

hoosierdaddy said...

Bizzy - you are slacking; you should be ragging about how the Enya lyrics are different from the hymn and all Christian references are gone!! :-)

Bizzy Brain said...

Have been preoccupied the last week and a half and not keeping up the critical blitz. Expect to catch up one of these days, however.

Bizzy Brain said...

Well, hoosier, I learned my lesson about “ragging” back in my college days at Purdue. I lived in a rooming house at one time and amongst the roomers were two English majors, one a grad and the other an undergrad. One afternoon the undergrad and I spotted a poem written in pencil on white lined paper on the kitchen table. There was no title, some words crossed out, others added. It was obviously the work of the grad student.
The undergrad and I read the poem and began to mercilessly rip it apart, laughing at the stupid metaphors and imagery. What we discovered later is that the grad student was not trying to write poetry, he was simply trying to write down a poem from memory, written by none other than William Butler Yeats.
Confession: I’ve never heard of Enya before (thanks for the enlightenment), and am not familiar with the hymn whose lyrics she altered. BTW, Enya’s Christian message is still unmistakably there.

hoosierdaddy said...

Never heard of Enya? What cave are you living in??!! You have probably heard her on some elevator but did not know who it was.