Tuesday, November 21, 2006

THANKSGIVING

THANKSGIVING

El dia de accion de gracia


Oh, God, when I have food,

help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me remember those who suffer;
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency,
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help those who cry out
for what we take for granted.

Amen*

Thus began our Thanksgiving Meal at Casa Holden on Sunday

With careful planning and everyone's willingness to contribute, our Thanksgiving meal at the Casa was a great success. All of the students helped out in one way or another, from moving furniture to setting the tables to preparing dishes reminiscent of Thanksgiving day in the States to cleaning up. The kitchen at Maru Botana prepared four turkeys, two hams and some appetizers, but the remainder of the cooking and baking was directed masterfully by Ms. Ivy with the assistance of numerous students and Mrs. Rhonda. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pasta, rice, corn, peas, cornbread, date pudding, pumpkin pie, banana pudding, cookies, red velvet cake, and a last-minute fruit punch concoction - all made for a very satisfied, and thankful, group. Special kudos go to Ms. Ivy for staying up all night on Saturday, cooking and baking for her amigos.

Ms. Ivy
*Prayer attributed to Samuel Pugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola:

Will you folks be in BA during Christmas? We don't know where to send th Christmas letter. Do you have a BA address?

Four inches of snow last night. A little warmer there, no doubt.

Jim Mattoon

DES said...

Jim - yes - we will be here over the holidays. Rachel and Jonathan will visit, and then we are planning on a short time in Colorado and Indiana. Our address here is:
Casa Holden
Pepperdine University
11 de Septiembre 955
(1426) Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
Argentina

And, if you want to send your letter to Boulder, it is
290A Spruce Street
Boulder, CO 80302

nos vemos!